Ziff Davis Announces Winners of the 1UP Awards
Posted on February 6, 2004Ziff Davis Media's Game Group has announced the winners for their first annual 1UP Awards for the best video and PC games of 2003. The awards were presented at a special ceremony at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, as part of the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Winners will be featured on 1UP.com and will be highlighted in the March 2004 issues of Electronic Gaming Monthly, Computer Gaming World, Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine, Xbox Nation and GMR.
The 1UP Awards were voted on by readers of the company's leading electronic videogame publications, which reach over 8 million gamers every month. The awards are named for Ziff Davis' new online destination for gaming enthusiasts -- 1UP.com.
"With the electronic videogame industry becoming increasingly interactive every day, it was logical to give gamers the opportunity to vote for their favorite games online," said Tom Jessiman, Vice President and General Manager, 1UP.com. "The winners exemplify the best the industry has to offer and we congratulate them."
2003 1UP Awards
- Game of the Year: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Lucas Arts Entertainment)
- Role-Playing Game of the Year: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Lucas Arts Entertainment)
- Strategy/Sim Game of the Year: WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne (Blizzard Entertainment)
- Shooter Game of the Year: Halo: Combat Evolved (PC) (Microsoft)
- Sports/Extreme Sports Game of the Year: Tony Hawk's Underground (Activision)
- Racing Game of the Year: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (Nintendo)
- Action Game of the Year: Splinter Cell (PS2, GC, PC) (Ubisoft)
- Adventure Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Nintendo)
- Fighting Game of the Year: Soul Calibur II (Namco)
- Online Multiplayer Game of the Year: Star Wars Galaxies (LucasArts Entertainment)
- Gaming Innovation of the Year: EyeToy (Sony CEA)
- Gaming Rig of the Year: AMD Athlon FX-51 (AMD)